Sunday, May 16, 2010

Suspect arrested at 1:30 this morning after standoff with police

Elizabethtown police arrested a man early this morning after a four-hour standoff with him in the 300 block of East Park Street.


Police were dispatched to the residence at 9:23 p.m. Saturday for a man who had threatened to barricade himself in his residence and potentially harm himself and the police, according to a news release issued by Police Chief Jack Mentzer. The suspect was armed with a 9mm handgun, and other weapons were in the residence.
 
Police responded to the scene and observed the man discharge the handgun inside the residence, the news release reported. Elizabethtown Police Department, with the assistance officers from Northwest Regional and Mount Joy, surrounded the residence and evacuated neighbors. Police requested assistance from the Lancaster County Special Emergency Response Team (SERT). 

SERT arrived to the scene and attempted to make contact with the male. Those attempts were unsuccessful.  Eventually tear gas was deployed into the residence which caused the male to exit the residence. The male was taken into custody at 1:30 a.m. and treated by medical personnel. 

The male is facing several criminal charges that are expected to be filed in the near future. 

The identity of the male is being withheld until criminal charges are filed.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting an accurate description of the events. So many on social networking sites are speculating and people have been driving by the house all day long. I appreciate your nonjudgmental depiction of the event and my neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I got the information directly from the police chief. I won't post information unless I can confirm it -- that's my training as a former reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, as a neighbor it was a long night for everyone involved, and I am thankful that no one was harmed.

    ReplyDelete

Because of ongoing spam passed off as comments, I have instituted a policy of moderating all comments. I will receive an e-mail when you comment and will review to ensure they are appropriate. For the record, this is not an effort to censor anyone except spammers hawking offensive websites and inappropriate and unrelated content. I pledge to post all comments, regardless of whether they are critical of me and my writing or not.